Students who have submitted a Leave of Absence Form upon their separation from John Carroll University will be eligible for reactivation. These students should obtain a permit to register from the Registrar’s Office.


  • Application completion: ten days prior to the start of the semester.
  • Tuition deposit: one week prior to registration deadline.
  • Course registration: Thursday before classes begin.


Students who have been absent from the University and do not have a valid or current Leave of Absence Form on file must formally apply for re-admission to John Carroll University.

To apply, students should complete and submit the Application for Re-admission. Students who have attended other colleges or universities are required to supply the following:

  • Official transcripts from each school attended. Official transcripts must be mailed directly to John Carroll from each college or university (we are unable to accept hand-delivered transcripts). Failure to report collegiate level attendance at any institution will make a student liable for immediate dismissal.
  • Completed Transfer Reference Form if attendance elsewhere was full-time.

All re-admission students are held to degree and curricular requirements in force at the time of their re-admission to the University unless they are granted special approval by Academic Advising.

Re-admission after Dismissal (submission at least one month prior to semester start is recommended)

Students under notice of dismissal from the University are ineligible to return until the lapse of one semester and one summer. Students who wish to be considered for re-admission after the expiration of this time period must submit the Application for Re-admission and a written petition to the Admission Committee, which includes the following:

  1. Explanation of probable reasons for scholastic deficiencies.
  2. Explanation of the manner in which intervening time has been spent.
  3. Reasons why favorable consideration for re-admission should be given.
  4. Why/how they will be successful upon return to JCU.

It is strongly recommended that students who were dismissed from JCU take classes elsewhere before returning to JCU. Students who have attended other colleges or universities after dismissal from John Carroll must present official transcripts from all other institutions attended in addition to a completed Transfer Reference Form. This readmission process can take several weeks so petitions for re-admission should be submitted at least one month prior to registration. 

If a student has been dismissed from John Carroll University two times, they are ineligible to return.

For successfully re-admitted students:
Submit your enrollment reservation form and deposit!