Determination of credit transferability occurs at the time of admission evaluation and decision. A listing of the applicant’s courses and credits which are transferable to John Carroll University will be sent to the admitted student shortly after the admission decision has been made. All academic petitions of transfer courses for further consideration (i.e.core and/or special designations) must be submitted by the end of the second semester after matriculation in order to be considered. Petitions should be submitted (with course descriptions and syllabi) via our Academic Petition form.The Academic Petition form can be accessed through BannerWeb under the Academics tab /Registration and Academic Services page.

Credit for advanced standing will be accepted from regionally accredited institutions, subject to the following restrictions:

  • Credit will not be given for courses completed with the lowest passing grade, though these courses need not always be repeated.
  • Courses completed with a “Pass” grade will not be accepted unless it can be established that the “Pass” was the equivalent of a “C” grade or higher.
  • No credit will be given, even as general electives, for courses in orientation, applied arts, athletics, or technical training which do not contribute to the goals of a liberal arts education.
  • In no instance will a degree be awarded to a transfer student unless the last 30 semester hours have been completed at John Carroll University.
  • The limit of transfer credit from a community college is 64-semester hours (96 quarter hours).
  • Courses offered to satisfy Core requirements must conform in content to courses offered at John Carroll University. Quantitatively, credits from other schools must be within one credit hour of the Core requirements in the subject area involved. Quality points are not transferred, but only credit hours. Approval of application of transfer credits to a major program is determined by the chair of the major department with the approval of the appropriate dean. Most departments require that at least half of the major be completed at John Carroll University.

Credit will be given for courses completed under the auspices of the United States Armed Forces Institute, provided they are equivalent to those offered by John Carroll University. Correspondence-course credits will be accepted provided the accredited institution administering the courses gives credit for them toward its own degrees.