For more than 130 years, John Carroll has focused on graduating students with intellect and character in the Jesuit tradition of educational excellence.
Our 60-acre suburban campus in University Heights, Ohio, is easy to navigate and offers state-of-the-art facilities, including the Dolan Center for Science and Technology and a newly renovated Murphy Hall. However, our close proximity to Downtown Cleveland provides students with opportunities for internships, research, service, recreation, culture, good food, and fun!
Admission is selective and focused on maintaining our excellent success rates for student retention and four-year graduation rates.
John Carroll By The Numbers
- 3,137 Undergraduate Students
- 536 Graduate Students
- 49% female, 51% male
- Students from 37 states and 50 countries
- Approximately 90% of freshmen and sophomores reside on campus
- 70 academic programs of study
- Average class size of 20 students
- 41% of the Class of 2016 added a minor or a second major to their primary area of study
- 85% freshman-to-sophomore retention rate (compared to national averages of 79% for public institutions and 80% for private institutions)
- 72% four-year graduation rate (compared to national averages of 32% for public institutions and 52% for private institutions)
- Nearly 100 student organizations
- 23 Division III varsity sports
- More than 136,000 hours of service performed by our students last year
- 10 miles from Downtown Cleveland
- More than 500 businesses and organizations in Northeast Ohio are owned or operated by John Carroll alumni
- 96% of John Carroll alumni (in a recent survey) say the JCU experience contributed to their career
Our Distinctions and Points of Pride
- #7 among universities in the Midwest offering master’s programs, U.S. News and World Report 2017 “Best Colleges” edition. This marks the 28th consecutive year that John Carroll has been ranked in the top 10.
- #2 in “Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching,” U.S. News and World Report 2017 “Best Colleges” edition.
- #7 in “Best Colleges for Veterans,” U.S. News and World Report 2017 “Best Colleges” edition.
- Named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for 8 consecutive years.
- #1 in the nation in student preparedness for employment, according to Bloomberg Businessweek, 2016 survey of employers.
- The Boler School of Business holds dual accreditation by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a distinction held by only 5% of business programs worldwide.
- Named to the “NorthCoast 99,” an annual recognition program that honors 99 great workplaces for top talent in Northeast Ohio.