The following is a compilation of common questions and answers that we hope will aid you in the coming months. We will continue to add to this list as we receive questions from our “Ask the Enrollment Staff” form.

Click on any topic to jump to questions that fit within that category:


Enrollment (Admission & Financial Aid)

Who is my enrollment manager, and how do I get in contact with him/her?

  • John Carroll operates differently than many institutions in that you have one point of contact for all of your admission and financial aid questions. This person, known as an enrollment manager (EM), is here to guide and support you every step of the way until new student orientation. Your enrollment manager signed your acceptance letter and sent your acceptance packet in the mail. If you don’t have that information easily accessible, you can see the enrollment managers and their contact information by clicking here. You may also call our office toll-free at 888.335.6800 and we would be happy to connect you with your enrollment manager.

Are there additional scholarships that I can apply for?

  • Yes. In addition to any merit-based scholarship you may have received, John Carroll does have three signature scholarship programs: the Arrupe Scholars Program, the Leadership Scholars Program, and the Honors Program. Click here for more information about these scholarship opportunities. Note that the deadline to apply is January 7, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
  • Applicants will find out if they have been invited to participate in the interview process for Arrupe, Leadership, and/or Honors in mid- to late January.

Does John Carroll offer any additional financial assistance beyond scholarships?

  • It is important to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so that our staff can evaluate you for any additional financial assistance, in the form of grants, endowed scholarships, loans, or student employment. This assistance can come from federal, state, or institutional resources; however, the only way we can potentially increase your overall financial aid award is if you apply for financial aid. The 2018-2019 FAFSA became available on October 1, 2017 and can be accessed at

When will I find out about my financial aid award?

  • We will begin to mail financial aid awards in late January for anyone who filed and submitted a FAFSA to JCU by December 1. If you file a FAFSA after that point, you can generally expect to receive a financial aid award a few weeks after we receive the results from your FAFSA. Your award will detail the types of aid you are receiving, along with the availability of loan options. Our staff is available for questions in understanding your award.

Is there a GPA requirement to maintain my financial aid award while at John Carroll?

  • Students receiving financial aid funded by the State government or by the Federal government as well as all John Carroll University funding must conform to the University’s Standards of Academic Progress. These guidelines encourage students to successfully complete courses for which aid is received. In order to receive financial aid at JCU, a student must be enrolled, be making satisfactory academic progress toward graduation, and remain in good academic standing. All students receiving financial aid will be reviewed at the end of each semester.

What is the cost to attend John Carroll for the upcoming year?

  • Costs for the 2018-2019 academic year will be announced soon. You will be able to see a full breakdown of the Cost of Attendance here.

I’m ready to commit to JCU. How do I submit my deposit?

  • Great! We are so excited that you’ve chosen to become a Blue Streak! To confirm your place in the Class of 2022, you will need to submit an enrollment reservation form (ERF) and $300 enrollment deposit. The easiest way to submit the ERF and deposit is to do so online through JCU Gateway and pay via credit card. Upon doing so you will receive confirmation that your form and deposit was successfully received by our office. If you prefer to mail in a paper ERF and pay by check, you will find a blank ERF on our website or you can find your personal ERF with a business reply envelope in your financial aid award packet (mailed beginning in late January). Once the form and deposit is received, we will send a confirmation letter.

I have already enrolled and submitted my deposit. When should I expect my transition information?

  • Transition information will be mailed to students with a deposit on file at a later date. This information will provide details you will need to register for summer orientation, housing, and other items that you must complete in preparation for fall enrollment.

Visiting John Carroll

How do I schedule an additional visit to John Carroll?

  • We’re glad that you would like to visit JCU, perhaps for a second or third time. As an accepted student, the best way to visit campus is a personalized visit (PV). When you request a PV, you will be contacted by our coordinator to discuss your academic and extracurricular interests. We will then plan a visit that is beneficial for you at this stage in the process.

What sorts of special events are offered for accepted students?

  • The biggest event of the year for the Office of Admission is our Accepted Student Celebration. This is an exciting day to be on campus to meet your future classmates, many members of the JCU community, and to get another feel for the campus as you make your college decision. Find out more information and register for the Class of 2022 Celebration!
  • John Carroll also travels to a number of cities and regions outside of Cleveland to host receptions for accepted students and their families. These are informal events that serve as an opportunity to connect with various members of our university community.

How can I schedule an overnight visit?

  • The Office of Admission does not coordinate overnight visits; however, you may be able to stay with a friend or someone you know who attends John Carroll. Please be sure to follow all policies for guests as set forth by the Office of Residence Life.
  • If you are traveling from a distance and need overnight accommodations, we are also able to recommend several hotels within a short distance of campus.

Making the Transition to JCU

When is orientation? How am I able to schedule my orientation dates?

  • Orientation provides a unique opportunity for students and families to get acquainted with John Carroll. Students will meet with a faculty advisor to discuss classes for the fall semester and beyond, meet fellow classmates , and stay in the residence halls. 2018 session dates are available on the Orientation website. Students will select their 2 day orientation session when registration becomes available on Tuesday, May 1, 2018.

When do I indicate which classes I’d like to take?

  • You will sit down with a faculty academic advisor during your summer orientation to discuss your classes for the fall semester and beyond. You will have the opportunity to ask this advisor about core requirements and the appropriate course load before you indicate preferences for which classes you’d like to take in the fall.

What are John Carroll’s college credit policies?

  • You will want to review information about Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and college credit (College Credit Plus, Post-Secondary Enrollment Options, etc.) on our website to see if JCU will accept your scores and/or credits.
  • Any AP/IB scores and/or official college transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admission as soon as they become available at the conclusion of your senior year.

Do I need to send a final transcript if I am a high school graduate?

  • Yes. To finalize your enrollment, all incoming students will need to have a final high school transcript on file with us. Typically, high schools will automatically handle that for students, but it is recommended that you check with your counseling and/or registrar’s office to confirm this is the case.

I’m interested in the JCU and CWRU 3+3 Dual Enrollment Program in Law. When will I get more information?

  • If you meet the criteria to be a participant of this program you will be notified in the Spring. You will then be given the option to “opt-in” at that time. You can learn more about the program on our website.

I’m interested in the Pre-MBA Scholars Program at JCU. When will I get more information?

  • If you meet the criteria to be a participant of this program you will be notified in the Spring. You will then be given the option to “opt-in” at that time. You can learn more about the program on the Boler School of Business website.

I’m interested in the Pre-Health Professions Early Acceptance Programs at LECOM and/or OU-HCOM. How do I apply for these programs?

Residence Life, Move-In, and Meal Plans

Am I required to live on campus?

  • All entering students of traditional age will declare their status as a resident or commuter through the Enrollment Reservation Form. Those not commuting from home are required to live on campus during their first two years. Commuting is defined as living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of a parent or legal guardian within 35 miles of John Carroll’s campus.

When and how am I able to submit my housing agreement?

  • The housing selection process opens on Tuesday, May 1, 2018. If you have submitted an enrollment deposit by that time, you will have access to electronically sign and submit the housing agreement online.

How do I find a potential roommate?

  • While some students will already know someone else attending JCU and may choose to room with that individual, most students come to John Carroll looking for a roommate. A great place to start is our private “JCU Class of 2022” Facebook group, where you can interact with other accepted students. For those attending the Class of 2022 Celebration, you may also connect with someone you meet and choose to room with him/her.
  • When you complete your housing agreement online, you will fill out a brief survey that helps to identify personal preferences such as sleep and study habits. If you do not mutually select a roommate by the predetermined deadline (usually in early June), we will use the results of that survey to find a compatible roommate for you.

When and how will I find out what residence hall I am living in?

  • Roommate and residence hall assignments are generally released in early to mid-July, and will be available through John Carroll’s online self-service platform, Banner Web. This timing hopefully will provide adequate opportunity to connect with your roommate(s) and to plan accordingly for what items to purchase for your room.

Where can I find information about what the residence halls are like?

  • For the 2017-2018 academic year, first-year students are housed in Dolan, Pacelli, and Campion Halls. First-year residence halls for the 2018-2019 academic year will be determined in spring 2018. For room dimensions and further information about these halls, visit the residence life website.

Do the freshman residences come with any furniture or appliances beforehand?

  • Residence halls come equipped with a bed, desk and chair, dresser, and wardrobe.

When do accepted students move in?

  • First-year students living on campus will move in to their residence hall on Wednesday, August 22. Fall student-athletes may move in prior to this time; check with your sport’s coach for more information.

What time should I plan on arriving on move-in day?

  • With the large number of students trying to move in on the same day, the Office of Residence Life assigns a specific time for each student to arrive and unload his/her vehicle. We kindly ask that you adhere to the time that has been assigned in order for the day to flow smoothly.

How do I obtain my room and residence hall keys when moving in? What if I am moving in early?

  • Look for instructions by email from the Office of Residence Life as move-in day nears. If you are moving in early, follow instructions from your coach, moderator, etc.

How can I get more information about meal plans?

  • Meal plans are available for those living on campus as well as commuter students.


Involvement & Campus Life

How do I find out about getting involved with clubs and activities on campus? Is there a general list of clubs on campus?

  • JCU has nearly 100 student organizations. Once you begin your freshman year, a great way to find out about many of them is during the Student Involvement Fair, held during the first few weeks of the fall semester. For a full list of organizations on campus, click here.

What kinds of intramural sports are offered at John Carroll?

  • From basketball to dodgeball to badminton, a variety of intramural activities exist. Be sure to check out the Recreation & Intramurals website for further information.

I want to have a car on campus as a freshman. How am I able to purchase a parking pass? Where do I park my car?

  • First-year students may purchase a parking pass through their Banner Web account beginning in May. Freshmen and sophomores are permitted to park their vehicle at the Green Road Annex, a satellite facility approximately one mile from the main campus. Daily shuttle service is provided. For more information, visit the Parking website.

What is there to do in the University Heights and Cleveland area?

  • John Carroll University is situated 10 miles east of Downtown Cleveland. This allows our students easy access to museums, professional sports teams, recreation, theatrical performances, and community service in and around a metropolitan area. The campus is within walking distance of major retail outlets, restaurants, and coffee houses, which makes it an ideal place for students. Several stops for the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) are within walking distance, and a JCU-sponsored weekend shuttle service also takes students to nearby shopping and dining locations. Check out Destination Cleveland to discover more about the area.

What banks are on or near campus? 

  • Huntington and US Bank ATMs are located on campus. A number of branch offices are located within a mile of campus, many at the intersection of Warrensville Center Road and Cedar Road.


I’m interested in playing a varsity sport at Carroll. How do I get on the coach’s radar?

How do I find out about important dates such as tryouts for my sport of interest?

  • The athletic department holds a Q&A session for parents of incoming students during each summer orientation session. Most coaches will email or mail information to incoming students over the summer, particularly the fall athletic programs that report early. Finally, details and information on physicals and sports medicine-related requirements for athletes can be found on the athletic training website.