Timeline

1876
First invitation of Bishop Richard Gilmour, Bishop of Cleveland, to the Buffalo Mission Jesuits to establish a college in Cleveland.

1880 – 1886
Extended negotiations between Bishop Gilmour and the Buffalo Jesuits.

April 19, 1886
A formal agreement is reached between Bishop Gilmour and Father Henry Behrens, S.J., Superior of the Buffalo Mission, to establish a college in Cleveland.

May 1, 1886
Father John B. Neustich, S.J., is appointed Vice-Rector and President of St. Ignatius College.

July 19, 1886
Father Neustich, with the aid of some Jesuit Brothers, begins construction of the two-story frame building that served as the original classroom building of the College and later as the gymnasium.

August 1886
Father Henry Behrens presents the first members of the future St. Ignatius College faculty, Fathers Herman Kerckhoff, Joseph Gaechter, and John Devlin to Bishop Gilmour.

August 19, 1886
The first publicity for the new college appears in the form of an advertisement in the Catholic Bulletin.

September 6, 1886
St. Ignatius College opens. 76 students are in the first class.

June 27, 1887
At the end of the first school year a convocation ceremony is held. It features a program, music, and prizes being distributed for good work in the classroom.

1889
Northwest wing of the permanent five-story brick building on the corner of West 30th and Carroll Avenue is completed.

1890
St. Ignatius College is incorporated under the laws of Ohio and granted the power to confer certificates and degrees.

1891
Southwestern wing of the permanent building is completed.

1903
The St. Ignatius College Alumni Association (the forerunner of the JCU National Alumni Association) is formed.

1914
New gymnasium is built on Carroll Avenue; the original temporary classroom building is torn down.

Early 1920s
Football comes to John Carroll when the school joins the collegiate football leagues.

1921
Joseph Schrembs becomes Bishop of Cleveland and gives permission for the Jesuits to build a college and parish on the east side.

1922
St. Ignatius College receives its first accreditation by the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges.

March 19, 1923
60 acres in Idlewood Village (now University Heights) are purchased for the present campus.

May 15, 1923
St. Ignatius College is renamed Cleveland University for a time.

September 10, 1923
The University is renamed John Carroll University after Bishop John Carroll, the first American Bishop.

1925
The first copy of The Carroll News is published.

1929
$1,400,000 in pledges is secured to build a new campus for John Carroll on 45 acres in University Heights.

1930
Pledges total $2,541,382.

July 5, 1931
The building of the new campus begins with the laying of the cornerstone. Remarks for this event were made by U.S. Senator Robert J. Bulkley and Right Reverand Joseph Schrembs, Bishop of Cleveland.

February 1932
The Depression hits Cleveland, causing many investors to put their contributions on hold. Construction on campus is suspended.

May 1935
Construction is able to resume.

October 7, 1935
456 students begin coming to classes on the new campus.

December 1935
The student’s residence hall is ready for occupancy.

1943
Due to the war, the campus is shut down to students. The Navy uses the campus to conduct its V-12 program. The program runs until 1945.

1945
The school is reopened after the war and the School of Business, Economics, and Government is established.

1947
A temporary gymnasium is erected on the original chapel foundation. It is nicknamed the “Pink Barn” due to its brick color which did not quite match the brick on the rest of campus. It serves as the School of Business.

1949
The Evening College is established. At this time also, a Lay Advisory Board of community leaders is formed.

1950
The Military Science Building is constructed.

1952
Pacelli Hall is constructed.

1955
Dolan Hall is built.

1956
The Graduate Division becomes the Graduate School.

1957
The new gymnasium is built.

1959
The Student Activities Building is built.

1961
Grasselli Library opens.

1963
The University launches $19.5 million Decade of Progress Development Program to expand academic, recreational, and residential facilities.

1964
Murphy Hall welcomes its first residents.

1966
Cleveland industrialist James A. Bohannon donates the first million-dollar gift in the university’s history, leading to construction of the Bohannon Science Center.

1967
The Bohannon Science Center opens. The Evening College is also discontinued and renamed University College.

1968
The College of Arts and Sciences becomes coeducational. Women are also permitted to become on-campus residents, living in Murphy Hall.

1969
The Student Activities Annex is completed. University governance is also reorganized under a new board of trustees, with three-fourths lay people and one-fourth Jesuit membership. The John Carroll University Jesuit Community is separately incorporated.

1971
The Fritzsche Religious Center opens.

1972
The first group of women graduate from the College of Arts and Sciences.

1975
The William H. Johnson Natatorium is built to house the campus swimming pool.

1976
Carrollodge is completed.

1979
A new dormitory is built and named North Hall. In 1982, Cleveland businessman Walter Sutowski’s gift of one million dollars brought the American Values Campaign over its goal of $8.4 million. With that gift, North Hall was rededicated as Sutowski Hall.

1981
South Hall is built. It would eventually be renamed Millor Hall.

1984
A $2.1 million grant from the Mellen Foundation of Cleveland endows a chair in finance in the School of Business.

1985
The Recreation Center Complex is completed. This complex includes Schott Atrium, Student Activities Offices, an indoor track, an intramural center, and the Student Union Offices.

1986
The University celebrates its Centennial. The highlight of the celebration is Centennial Festival Week.

1987
St. Francis Chapel is completed.

1988
East Hall is completed, which would later be dedicated as Hamlin Hall in 1997.

1989
The Bruening Hall addition, the Nathan Dauby Plaza, and the renovation of the School of Business are completed. Schott Hall is completed allowing additional dining facilities to seat several hundred people.

1990
New Hall is built next to East Hall. It is dedicated on November 13, 1993, as Campion Hall, named for Edmund Campion, a Jesuit Martyr.

1991
Completion of Schweickert Field (baseball field, spectator stands, press box and storage) and Ralph Vince Fitness Center.

1993
The University receives the largest philanthropic gift in its history, $10 million for endowment from the F. J. O’Neill Charitable Corporation.

1994
The T.P. O’Malley, S.J., Center for Communications and Language Arts is opened and dedicated. This addition onto the Administration Building gave students a new space for studying and taking classes. Varsity Gymnasium is dedicated as the Don Shula Sports Center. The Student Center is named for D. J. Lombardo.

1995
The John G. and Mary Jane Breen Learning Center, an addition to Grasselli Library that doubled its size, is dedicated. Successful completion of a $50 million capital campaign to increase endowment and to add to major building facilities.

1996
Celebration of Cleveland’s Centennial and John Carroll’s 110th anniversary. The John M. and Mary Jo Boler School of Business is dedicated.

1997
A record $17,395,000 is raised in philanthropic gift support prompted by a $10 million Challenge Grant from John M. ’56 and Mary Jo Boler. The Jesuit residence, Schell House is also completed.

1998
The St. Ignatius of Loyola statue, a gift from the class of 1962, is dedicated. Bernet Hall is also renovated and reopened with suite units.

1999
The Edward M. Muldoon Center for Entrepreneurship is established. Schott Student Dining Hall is renovated and modernized.

2000
Rodman Hall renovation completed to house administrative offices. The Labyrinth is also built on Rodman Terrace. Charles and Helen Dolan pledge $20 million toward the construction of new science and technology center.

2001
A $7 million renovation of Administration Building completed including all classrooms being equipped with audio, video, and internet capabilities. Groundbreaking for the Dolan Center for Science and Technology occurs and the Fairmount Circle shopping center is purchased.

2002
Renovation of athletic facilities including Don Shula Stadium begins. Jack and Mary Jane Breen make $3 million gift to support Catholic Studies. Board of Trustees renamed Board of Directors; Board of Regents created.

2003
The Dolan Center for Science and Technology is opened and dedicated. Renovations of athletic facilities are completed and the Tony DeCarlo Varsity Center dedicated. Don Shula Stadium at Wasmer Field completed and dedicated. Entire 60-acre campus becomes wireless environment as a result of $1.2 million gift from Tim Donahue and partnership with Nextel. The Said Nursi Chair in Islamic Studies established.

2004
Four apartment buildings near Fairmount Circle are purchased. The University serves as a major host of the International Children’s Games.

2007
The University presents a new Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Strategic Initiatives Statement.

2008
The Corinthian apartment building on Fairmount Circle and the temple property on Green Road are purchased. A new state-of-the-art television studio is built in the O’Malley Center. The LSC Conference Room, Murphy Room, Jardine Room, and Schott Student Dining Hall are renovated. The Corbo Athletic room is renovated to include new equipment.

2009
The Department of Communication and Theatre Arts is named after Tim Russert ’72 and the NBC/John Carroll University Meet the Press Fellowship is initiated. Two additional apartment buildings on Fairmount Circle are purchased, the David R. Meuse Wrestling Room is dedicated, and the Bohannon Center is closed. The Academic Planning Task Force is launched. 11 proposals for new academic programs funded by seed money from an anonymous donor are presented.

2010
Phase 1 of the Academic Planning Task Force’s plan is completed in January; Phase 2 is initiated in Fall 2010. The campus continues to go green with the removal of the temporary lot and restoration of the Hamlin Quad, along with the creation of a Sustainability Committee.